A tragic story out of Miami involves the death of young baseball star José Fernández, who was one of three people killed in a boat crash off Miami Beach.
The Marlins announced that Sunday’s game against the Atlanta Braves has been cancelled.
“The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of José Fernández. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time,” the team said in a statement.
Chief Petty Officer Nyxolyno Cangemi told The Associated Press that a Coast Guard patrol boat spotted an overturned boat at 3:30 a.m. on a jetty near Government Cut. The bodies were discovered a short time later.
Adding to the emotional severity of the horrifying crash, Fernández had announced on Instagram last week that his girlfriend was pregnant.
“All of Baseball is shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández,” Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. “He was one of our game’s great young stars who made a dramatic impact on and off the field since his debut in 2013. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, the Miami Marlins organization and all of the people he touched in his life.”
Fernández emigrated to the United States from Cuba in 2008 after three failed defection attempts, settling in Tampa, Florida. He was a 2011 first-round pick, taken 14th overall by the Marlins, out of Tampa’s Alonso High School.
The Marlins stud was 16-8 with a 2.86 ERA this season, earning his second appearance in the All-Star Game. Fernández, who was named the National League Rookie of the Year in 2013, was 38-17 with a 2.58 ERA in 76 career starts for the Marlins.
He became a United States citizen last year.
– – –
Follow author: Phil_Jones2020